Dr. Jyotirup Goswami, one of the best Oncologists in Kolkata prioritizes the patient's holistic care based on the best available current clinical practice and evidence. For him, the most important aspect of a consultation is to be able to communicate optimally with a patient, based on their diverse backgrounds and needs.Read More
- Former Consultant, Clinical Oncology, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK
- Former Consultant, Clinical Oncology, Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust , UK
- Former Senior Registrar, Radiation Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Image-guided radiotherapy
- Altered fractionation
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy in lung cancer
- Brachytherapy in gynaecological cancer
About The author
Dr. Jyotirup Goswami
- Dr. Jyotirup Goswami is one of Kolkata’s most senior and well-qualified Oncologists.
- Trained at Medical College, Kolkata and Tata Memorial Hospital,Mumbai, he is well-versed with all of today’s modern techniques and procedures.
- Dr. Goswami has worked at some of India’s most prestigious institutes in the course of his career and has also worked in the National Health Service, UK.
- He has been instrumental in setting up a new Radiotherapy department at Westbank Hospital, Howrah (now known as Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, Howrah). Read More
MBBS, MD (Radiotherapy), DNB (Radiotherapy)
- Radiotherapy is the treatment of malignant (and some non-malignant) diseases using ionising radiation (gamma rays, X rays, etc).
- Radiotherapy is given in 2 ways: Teletherapy & Brachytherapy
- Teletherapy is administered by telecobalt unit or linear acclelerator. Here the source of radiation is placed away from the patient. Linear accelerators give superior dose distribution to cobalt units. Also, modern methods of radiotherapy, viz 3D CRT and IMRT are deliverable by these machines only.
- In brachytherapy, the source of radiation is placed within or close to the patient’s body. Brachytherapy uses radioactive isotopes such as Cesium 137 ,Cobalt 60 or Iridium 192 . HDR (High Dose Rate) brachytherapy allows precise computerised planning of the treatment and fast treatment delivery. Read More
Modern Radio Therapy Techniques
Radiotherapy (i.e. radiation therapy) uses ionising radiation to eradicate cancer cells and decrease the tumour volume. About 50% of all cancer patients are treated with radiation therapy, either alone or in combination with other types of treatment, most often surgery
IMRT (Intensity Modulated Therapy)
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is an advanced mode of high-precision radiotherapy that uses computer-controlled linear accelerators to deliver...Read More
VMAT (Volume Modulated Arc Therapy)
Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) is a novel radiation therapy technique that delivers the radiation dose continuously as the treatment machine rotates...Read More
IGRT (Image Guided Radiotherapy)
Image-guided radiation therapy is the process of frequent two and three-dimensional imaging, during a course of radiation treatment, used to direct...Read More
SRS/SRT (Stereotactic Radiosurgery & Radiotherapy)
SRS is a non-surgical radiation therapy used to treat functional abnormalities and small tumors of the brain. It can deliver precisely...Read More
SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy)
Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) has emerged as an innovative treatment for various primary and metastatic cancers, and the past five years have witnessed...Read More
What Patients say!
“Dear Dr Goswami & team, thank you for all your care and kindness over the past few months and at a time of great difficulty for our health service, for seeing me and helping me. It was much appreciated.”
“It was very reassuring to be examined and to be able to ask questions after my radiotherapy treatment. Very considerate and professional service. Thank you and the team for all your care.”
“I am fully satisfied with his treatment and continuous checking. He is one of the best doctors in the Cancer Institute.”
“Dr Jyotirup Goswami is a great doctor. I am very much pleased with his sympathetic behaviour. This only for God’s grace that I have come here and met him.”
“I myself and all my family members are very very grateful to Dr J Goswami. He gave me 5 years extension ie added 5 years more to my life already. He is very careful and 100% competent. Thanks Dr J Goswami.”